How to Live a Self-Empowered Life
None of us wakes up and thinks to ourselves “how will I disempower myself today?” We all want to live successful lives, and we want to be the masters of our fate.
Although we want to live empowered lives, we unconsciously disempower ourselves. Here are some ways you may be giving away your power or just not standing in your power without you even realizing it.
Stop These Disempowering Habits:
- You say “yes” when you mean “no.”
- You spend time worrying about what other people think of you.
- You use disempowering language – “I can’t” “I’m not great at X” “I should” “I have to”
- You focus on failures rather than successes
- You think to live empowered you must do everything yourself
- You think things are tougher or worse than they really are
- You ruminate on negative emotions such as regret, guilt, self-doubt, unforgiveness
- You constantly compare yourself to others
- You practice other disempowering habits, e.g., set goals that are unrealistic
While much is written about people who disempower others, the habits above are all within your control. That’s great news because you control how much power you exercise in your life.
So, let’s turn this around and create a self-empowered life. That’s what you really desire. To live a self-empowered life means you take charge of your own life through the decisions and actions you make every day.
With belief, skills, and action, you can live a self-empowered life. Here’s how:
Start These Empowering Habits:
- You use empowering language: “I can” “I will” “I’m great at X”
- You reflect on past challenges you overcame and your resiliency, grit, and perseverance
- You believe that whatever lies ahead you can figure it out
- You see knowing when to ask for help as one of your superpowers
- You are content with yourself
- You know that you have something valuable to contribute in this world
- You speak positively and powerfully about yourself
- You believe that you can achieve your goals and dreams
- You invest in your growth and development
- You are honest with yourself about your strengths and weaknesses
- You stretch outside your comfort zone
- You teach what you know to others
- You try new things – you’re comfortable being a novice as you learn
- You willingly learn from others
- You set reasonable, “powerful” goals and achieve them
- You use your power to influence positive actions and outcomes for yourself and others
- You stay actively involved in your work and personal life
- You consciously focus your time, energy, and resources on things that matter to you
- You move on from setbacks quickly and learn from them
- You empower others (Empowered people empower others)
Living a self-empowered life is within your reach. Look at the habits above and commit to doing more of what empowers you and less of what disempowers you.
The Aha! Life is an empowered life. It’s when you take control of your own life. You believe in yourself, you build the skills you need to increase your confidence and self-esteem, and you take action to achieve your goals and dreams and influence others.
If this article was helpful to you, I’m glad. My goal is to inspire you and remind you that you have everything within you to reach your highest potential and live your best life. If you want access to more articles and resources to support you on your journey, I invite you to visit my website, Your Aha! Life. While you’re there, you can sign up to be a part of the Your Aha! Life Global Community. You’ll receive many FREE perks and be among the first to learn about events and new offers.
And, if you’re on Facebook, consider joining my private Facebook group, The Aha! Community. We are a community of nearly 600 people who are actively engaged in pursuing our goals and dreams, sharing our strengths, and working to expand our knowledge and grow our skills.
Join the Your Aha! Life Global Community Quarterly Meetup on Thursday, September 30, 2021 @ 7:30 PM EDT via Zoom. Our topic for this quarter is: “Getting to Know Your True Self: ‘Who am I?’” It’s going to be a great time of connecting, learning, and having fun together. I hope to see you at this FREE event. Advanced registration is required. Space is limited. Register Now.
3 BONUS RESOURCES
- If you’re not an email subscriber (yet), I want to share with you a 10-day challenge I provided in my recent newsletter: “It’s Time to Shut Up and Make Your Dreams Come True 10-Day Challenge”. If you have dreams that you’ve been talking about for a while, but can’t seem to make much traction, then this challenge is for you. You’re only 10 days away from making your dreams come true. You’re empowered to Make it Happen.
- Americans pick up their phones somewhere between 80 and 260 times a day (Google). We tap, click, or swipe our phones 2617 times a day. Wow!! As often as you pick up your phone throughout the day, wouldn’t it be nice to have an inspiring message to uplift you? That’s what I thought. I invite you to get these free inspiring wallpapers for your phone. Click here to receive the Your Aha! Life Phone Wallpapers, four designs to select from – or choose them all.
- Lastly, I’m sharing this empowering poem by William Ernest Henley – A favorite. Enjoy
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.